Off-road enthusiasts ahoy! Mahindra & Mahindra has finally unveiled the all-new Thar, on the occasion of India’s 74th Independence Day. In its all-new avatar, folks at Mahindra state the Thar is a quantum leap in terms of performance, everyday comfort & convenience, technology and safety, as it stays true to its core promise of unmatched off-roading capability and builds on its iconic design.
In order to move with the times, Mahindra has updated the all-new Thar in quite a significant number of ways. Here’s a look at what’s new –
- All-new BS6-compliant engine options: A 2.0-litre mStallion TGDi petrol motor and the 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine.
- The 2.0-litre petrol motor produces 148bhp@5000rpm and 300Nm (MT) or 320Nm (AT) between 1500-3000rpm.
- The 2.2-litre diesel engine produces 130bhp@3750rpm and 300Nm of torque between 1600-2800rpm.
- New gearbox options: A six-speed torque converter automatic transmission & six-speed manual transmission mated to an authentic manual shift-on-the-fly 4×4 transfer case.
- All-new roof options: A hard top, a first-in-class convertible top and an optional soft top as well.
- New seating options: Four front-facing seats and 2+4 side-facing seats.
- Technology: Drizzle resistant seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system, cruise control, adventure statistics display and a whole lot more.
- Comfort and Convenience: Sporty front seats, roof-mounted speakers and lots more.
- Safety Features: ABS + EBD, Dual airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, Hill-hold and hill descent control and a whole lot more.
According to Rajesh Jejurikar, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors, M&M Ltd., “The all-new Thar will enhance the appeal of a brand that is already a cult, to a wider set of consumers. It will target people who seek extraordinary journeys and wish to Explore the Impossible. The All-new Thar will be launched on 2nd October, which is also our Founders Day”
In addition to all this, the all-new Thar has been designed and engineered in India and manufactured out of Mahindra’s Nashik plant. This body-on-frame SUV will be available in six colours – Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Napoli Black, Aquamarine, Galaxy Grey and Rocky Beige.