These days, it’s easy to add the word ‘SUV’ to any car and sell it like a hot cake. There are some mini SUVs, some compact SUVs, some cross-overs, which just want to be an SUV. But do you remember an actual mini tank-like SUV, yes a rugged, dominating, and very much boxy SUV? Well, the first thought which comes to our mind, is the iconic Hummer. An SUV that barely recognized the meaning of aerodynamics. However, be it a Zombie apocalypse or a world-war, the Hummer was and will always be one of the most reliable SUVs around.
Let’s start with a short story, GMC built the Hummer, which was very popular due to its dominating road presence and rugged looks. However, after the global financial crisis, the economy fell, and the fuel pricing went up. Now due to the Hummer’s not-so-aerodynamic shape and really poor tank-like mileage, paired with new and stricter pollution control norms, and the shift of customers towards low maintenance and value for money Japanese alternatives, the Hummer had to witness its downfall.
The happy ending, and a new beginning:
Everyone wants a happy ending to their story, but what if you can’t achieve one? Well, that’s why General Motors has written a new chapter. The popular tank-like Hummer has finally made a comeback with the same dominance and rugged design, but a new electric heart. Yes, you read that right, GMC has finally introduced the 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1 — a first-of-its-kind super-truck developed to forge new paths with zero emissions.
It will be the first fully electric addition to GMC’s lineup, driven by next-generation EV propulsion technology that enables unprecedented off-road capability, extraordinary on-road performance, and an immersive driving experience designed to put occupants at the center of every moment.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, Hummer EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency, and performance.”
How powerful is it?
The Hummer EV will get its energy from General Motors’ all-new Ultium Batteries and power from Ultium Drive, which is GM’s proprietary EV drive units. All things aside, coming to the most important point, GM claims the Hummer EV to be capable of generating 1,000bhp of power and 11,500 lb-ft of torque, generated by three separate motors within two Ultium drive units to give Hummer EV’s e4WD, an remarkable on- and off-road capabilities. Additional purposeful and intuitive technologies will complement the truck’s range and capabilities to enhance and elevate every excursion.
How’s such a high torque possible?
In India, on average, a car produces 70-150bhp of power and 200-300Nm of torque. However, the GM Hummer is expected to produce 1000bhp of power and 11,500 lb-ft of torque, which is approximately 15,500Nm of torque. While some might say that electric vehicles are usually high in torque figures and that’s needed because of their heavyweight, due to the batteries.
Our theory to this is- General Motors has not revealed the torque supply to the engine, but instead, these figures indicate the torque supply to the tires, which is not a very conventional method, and could be a trick to increase the hype around the Hummer. However, that does not mean that the Hummer will be less powerful. It’s still, blazingly fast, very capable, and powerful compared to other segment leaders.
It’s definitely powerful. But what about the features?
“We had one goal for HUMMER EV: Build the most capable factory truck – ever,” said Al Oppenheiser, GMC HUMMER EV chief engineer. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability, unlike anything GM has ever offered before.” The GMC HUMMER EV is designed to be the ultimate off-road EV super-truck, with all-new features developed to challenge tough obstacles and terrain.
While we can spend an entire evening, speaking about the features of Hummer EV, here is a list of its segment-first features, which are really impressive:
- Segment-Exclusive 4 Wheel Steer featuring CrabWalk — a segment-exclusive feature that allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement of the vehicle, for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension with available segment-leading, Extract Mode capability enables the suspension height to be raised approximately 6 inches (149 mm) to help the Hummer EV negotiate extreme off-road situations such as clearing boulders or fording water.
- 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires offered standard, and the capability to accommodate 37-inch tires. They offer exceptional strength and flexibility to optimize maneuverability with the Hummer EV’s unprecedented off-road capability, including scaling 18-inch verticals and driving through water that is more than 2 feet deep.
- Underbody armor, consisting of sturdy steel plates that are strategically located around the battery pack and more to help protect in extreme off-roading conditions.
- UltraVision that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and are equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. HUMMER EV offers a best-in-class number of camera views, with up to 18 available from the vehicle to help increase awareness of surroundings.
- Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens. Examples include torque output, differential locker engagement, tire pressure, pitch and roll angles (including maximum values), a drift gauge (with maximum values), friction circle, torque vectoring, and more.
What’s special in the Edition-1?
GM will introduce the Hummer EV Edition-1 in 2021, followed by other base variants, which will arrive simultaneously, during 2022,2023, and 2024. The Edition-1 gets some unique and segment-first features like:
- 800-volt DC public fast-charging compatibility of up to 350 kilowatts. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes Hummer EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging.
- 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system that will offer excellent range and power to three motors.
- GM-estimated 350+ miles of driving range on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
- The latest version of Super Cruise, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads, and a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver while following signaling protocols.
- Watts to Freedom — a driver-selectable immersive experience that unleashes the full acceleration capability of the EV propulsion system, including GM-estimated 0-60-mph performance in approximately 3 seconds.
- Drive Mode Control offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance — including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings — for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the Hummer EV’s ride height by nearly 2 inches.
- Adaptive Ride Control continuous damping that is tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
- Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
- Premium, technical interior materials.
- Large, 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display convey a wealth of vehicle performance and driver awareness information.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions.
- Power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
Convinced, but is it really a zero-emission truck?
“The GMC HUMMER EV reimagines an instantly-recognizable silhouette for a modern, all-electric future,” said Phil Zak, design executive director. “Its design visually communicates extreme capability, which is reinforced with rugged architectural details offered with a premium, well-executed, and appointed interior.”
The Hummer EV will be the first full-electric vehicle in GMC’s portfolio and is powered by General Motors’ new Ultium battery system. Production begins in late 2021, at GM’s Factory ZERO Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center — a nearly 40-year-old facility repurposed and retooled with a USD 2.2-billion investment devoted to electric vehicle production. Future production vehicles out of the factory will offer zero emissions.